HNC Early Education and Childcare
College Development Network website provides key links to information, resources and professional development opportunities for staff involved in implementing and embedding the principles, experiences and outcomes of Curriculum for Excellence to meet the four capacities of successful learners, effective contributors, responsible citizens and confident individuals.
HNC Early Education and Childcare supports implementation through:
- providing opportunities for the development of the four capacities in students
- preparing students to enter employment in early years settings where they will use their skills and knowledge of Curriculum for Excellence to support the development of young children
The following provides links to:
- a statement of the outcomes, knowledge and skills of the mandatory units of the HNC award
- the principles of Curriculum for Excellence
- resources for use in embedding the four capacities of Curriculum for Excellence mapped to the unit outcomes
The information below has been produced to support the delivery of revised HN awards.
The materials include:
- PDP support resources in the form of a staff toolkit - PDF Toolkit (1.87 MB) or PDP Toolkit (42.95 MB) and a complementary student resource toolkit ReCrea8 (3.38 MB) or ReCrea8 (21.23 MB). In addition to these files a small selection of activities have been repurposed in Course Genie (instructions for accessing examples of this content are included below).
It is hoped that a wide range of staff will be able to find suitable resources that will complement existing centre approaches and materials, even if staff are not delivering the SQA Personal Development Planning Unit- DE3R 34.
Staff are actively encouraged to develop and contextualise these resources to meet the needs of their specific learners. For this reason the content of the toolkits has been structured to allow for specific and tailored use of single activities or larger sections of content. This would ideally be introduced in a facilitated manner early in the academic session before progressively moving towards more independent learning approaches.
- A copy of the recent sector scoping findings relating to the development of citizenship and employability in HN awards can be viewed in the HN Curriculum Booklet (1.41 MB).
- Two examples of the materials from the staff toolkit that will run within a browser such as Internet Explorer and could be installed on a website or within a Virtual Learning Environment.
The materials are held within separate folders:
To view the materials click on the link below and select 'Save' to save the folder to your computer. Next double click on the saved folder and then select 'Extract all files' and follow the instructions. To view the files click 'index.htm' or 'index'.
Tel: 01786 892131
Email Ann Kirkwood