Governing in a Regional Structure
As we move to a regional FE structure, it is clear that the current college boards will retain their existing responsibilities for many months to come and they will have a crucial role in managing the transition to the new system.
Whether you are on a Board of a college that has decided to merge with others, is exploring closer collaboration under a new regional structure or is facing the challenge of sitting on a college board that will also be the regional governing body, you need to be up to speed with developments in the sector and have all the information required to fulfil your responsibilities.
The Governance Development Programme provided by College Development Network has just been refreshed to focus on these priorities. We now have available:
- Workshops (Leading through Change, Board as Employer and Developing Outcome Agreements)
- Briefing Papers and Useful Links
- Newsletter – Governing in a Regional Structure
- Facilitation and support services
- Sector updates
To ensure all board members have an opportunity to participate in the programme we aim to ensure that sessions are highly focused and available at a variety of venues across the country.
View our Governing in a Regional Structure (294.85 kB) to view the latest news on our events.
– Governance of a merger
– Typical actions and timeline that are required on the path to merger.
– Summarises the key legal issues for boards as the employer when considering transferring staff to another organisation – whether as a result of merger or shared services.
Guide for Board Members
Please view our Guide for Board Members 2012 (1.1 MB). Please note this is a new version of the guide and it will be updated as the sector governance changes.
Latest Governance Information
- Accountable and Effective Governance – Scotland's Colleges Submission to the Review of College Governance (374.84 kB)
- Collaborations Alliances and Mergers – HEFCE Report (445.5 kB)
- Commission on the Future Delivery of Public Services (1.8 MB)
- Letter to Minister and Scotland's Colleges Response to The Review of Further Education Governance in Scotland (69.14 kB)
- The Federation Model of FE (36.5 kB)
- Putting Learners at the Centre (516.13 kB)
- REMIT – Governance (33.5 kB)
- Report of the Review of FE Governance in Scotland (546.96 kB)
- Report of the Review of Higher Education Governance in Scotland (271.9 kB)
- Review of Governance Wales (985.26 kB)
- Scotland's colleges Response to Proposals for Implementing Putting Learners at the Centre (1.24 MB)
- Scotland's colleges Response to the Pre-Legislative Consultation Paper (808.6 kB)
- SFC Mergers Guidance (221.48 kB)
- The Final report of the Independent Commission on Colleges in their Communities – Baroness Sharp of Guildford (990.46 kB)
- The Role of Boards – Audit Scotland (1.52 MB)
Tel: 01786 892043
Email Lesley Whelan